Middle Years Sample Units BACKWARDS DESIGN UNIT PLANS created by WINTER 2018 Pre-interns (following Examples of Essential Questions)
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS: What ARE essential questions??
These are the BIG IDEAS that can be explored for understanding but never be fully answered. Questions that stimulate ongoing thinking and inquiry; raise more questions; spark discussion and debate; asked and reasked throughout the unit (and maybe the year); demand justification and support; “Answers” may change as understanding deepens.
Examples of Essential Questions from “Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding” written by McTighe and Wiggins. The authors remind us that EQs are open-ended, thought-provoking, intellectually engaging, call for higher-order thinking, requires support and justification and recurs over time.
Examples of EQs provided by McTighe & Wiggins
**Learners are engaged in UNCOVERING the depth and richness of a topic that might otherwise be obscured by simply COVERING it.**
**Check out the many SAMPLE units created by UofR Winter 2018 Pre-interns, designed around ONE essential question with a few guiding questions.
- What does it mean to be healthy? Grade 7 & 8 by Raegyn Fulmek
2. How do we create a collaborative team? Grade 6/7 by Trisha Wallington
3. What does it mean to be healthy? Grade 7/8 by Erin Zinger
4. Why on EARTH should we care? Grade 8/9 by Jacquie Walbaum
5. How does government impact us? Grade 4/5 by Shannon Johnstone
6. What is the significance of place? Grade 8 by Kim Thue
7. Why is wellness important to me? Grade 7/8 by Maytlind Mallo
8. How does data impact my life? How does abuse impact one’s self. family and community? Grade 7/8 by Brayden Dreger
9. What is the significance of place? Grade 7/8 by Amanda Ewert
10. How do we work smarter? Grade 5 by Cody Biever
11. Why are Relationships Important? Grade 6/7 by Laneise Scharback
12. Why is Canada a Rainbow? Gr. 5/6 by Hira Zahid
13. How does mindfulness benefit me? Gr. 6/7 by Janae Prediger
14. What is my connection to space? Gr. 6 by Paige Lyons
15. How does puberty affect our lives? Gr. 5/6 by Jon Wilmot
16. What does it mean to be healthy? Gr. 6/7 by Tianna Macdonald
17. How do you work towards becoming a willow? Gr. 7/8 by Taylor Gamracy & Dan Santha
18. What does respect look like? What does it mean to respect ourselves in healthy ways? Gr. 4/5 by Breanne Kauck-Fiacco & Brooklyn Mantai
21. What is culture? What does Indigenous culture look like in Canada? Gr. 8 by Erin Maki
22. What does respect look like? Grade 4/5 by Brooklyn Mantai
23. What does it mean to be afraid? Grade 7/8 by Brooklyn Selinger
24. Why do bills and laws exist? Gr. 7/8 by Jeremy Baetz